Export PDF forms from InDesign – with formatting intact!
Requirements: InDesign CS6 or higher and Acrobat X or higher. Mac or Windows.
What is FormMagic?
When an interactive PDF with form fields is exported out of InDesign, all formatting is lost. You cannot set fonts, alignment, or text color!
FormMagic adds a new menu command to Acrobat Pro that allows you to restore the lost formatting to the interactive PDF form you created in InDesign, quickly and easily.
FormMagic takes the hassle out of creating and styling forms in InDesign!
1. Here’s what a simple sample form with two text fields might look like in InDesign.
2. Here’s what the same form will look like after it is exported from InDesign and opened in Acrobat without FormMagic. The formatting in the two blue form fields that was there in InDesign has been lost.
3. After running FormMagic on this form in Acrobat, here’s what it looks like.
The formatting is restored, and the PDF form looks like it did in InDesign!
How to Use FormMagic
After you’ve downloaded and installed FormMagic (see below), create and style your form in InDesign. Save your work as usual.
1. Keeping the form you have created open in InDesign, run the FormMagic script by double-clicking on it in the InDesign Scripts panel. You will be asked where you want to save the FormMagic XML data. Select a location and click OK.
2. Now that you’ve saved the form data with FormMagic, continue by exporting the PDF form from InDesign as usual for interactive PDF forms, and open in Acrobat. In Acrobat, go to Edit>FormMagic (it’s a new entry at the bottom of the Edit menu). You will be asked to select the XML file with the form data you just saved. Select the file and click OK.
Finished! All the formatting and styling you applied to your form in InDesign is restored to the interactive PDF form in Acrobat Pro!
Download the Free Edition of Form Magic
Click here to download FormMagic Free Edition and give it a test drive.
The Free Edition is identical to the Pro edition, except that it is limited to a single-page form, and up to 10 form fields only.
In the download package of FormMagic you will find a text file called “Installation Instructions.” Follow these instructions carefully. They will tell you how to install FormMagic on your computer.
If you need help installing FormMagic on your computer, please contact us.
If you have installed the two FormMagic scripts correctly, by copying them to the correct folders on your computer, you will see a new entry in your InDesign scripts panel called FormMagicFree, and in Acrobat you will see a new entry at the bottom of the Edit menu called “FormMagic”.
What formatting is restored by FormMagic?
FormMagic restores the font, size, color, alignment, and default text to the form fields in your interactive PDF.
Additionally, you can create combs in InDesign with FormMagic. What is a comb? It’s a type of form field where each character is separated by a vertical line, and you can type only one character per box, like this:
To create a comb in InDesign, create a form text field and separate the text inside the field with the vertical bar character (it looks like this: |). It will be converted to a comb field in Acrobat when you run FormMagic!
FormMagic is available in 3 editions:
FormMagic Free works with single-page InDesign documents and up to 10 form fields. Click here to download FormMagic Free Edition.
FormMagic Pro ($79) works with forms of any length.
The terms of the license permit the installation of the script on a single user’s computer. The script is copyright. It is illegal to make unauthorised copies of the script.
To purchase FormMagic, select the edition you want and click the “Buy Now” button, or email us. You will be taken to PayPal to complete the purchase. Your will receive your full, unlocked script normally within one working day.